Sunday, July 18, 2010

Officina Profumo Santa Maria Novella


I'll probably never use it - but here's my Vellutina soap. To me it smells like clean sheets hanging in the sun in Tuscany.
I read an article about this store in Florence, called Officina profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella in an issue of Lucky Magazine. It described the store as a converted monastery that sold beauty items made with age-old recipes the monks used to use. You know me, you put together history and beauty products, and I'm pretty much sold. When I went to Italy on my own in 2005, I set out to find this store , and not far from the church of Santa Maria Novella (hence the name - duh) I found it. One might say that I was suitably awed by the experience. Wood and marble and carvings and statues.... it is a beautiful and inspiring place. I bought three things when I went there. I bought the weekend soap (miniature versions of their best soaps), I also bought their lemon hand cream, which smells like someone just peeled a lemon and put the rind in the pot, and I also bought the Vellutina soap. I bought this soap for one specific reason. The packaging is just about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for packaging. I know it's probably a stupid reason to buy something, but just look at it. It's a miniature work of art. Doesn't hurt that the soap smells amazing too.
xox
A.






No comments:

Post a Comment